You want to learn machine learning fast, but you have no idea where to start?
We feel your pain. That’s why we put together this guide on the best online courses and prerequisites for beginners looking to break into the field of machine learning.
You’ll find a variety of resources here, so whether you’re looking for an introductory course or a more in-depth overview, there’s something in this post for everyone!
Here is what we have covered in this guide.
[powerkit_toc title=”Table of Contents” depth=”1″ min_count=”4″ min_characters=”1000″]
What is Machine Learning?
Machine learning is a subset of the field of artificial intelligence. Machine learning algorithms process large amounts of data in order to reveal patterns and make predictions about future events or outcomes.
The goal of machine learning is for computers to learn from existing information, without having been explicitly programmed what’s important. This allows AI programs to analyze new datasets as they come up.
Benefits of Machine Learning?
Data scientists can use machine learning to find hidden insights in data, which they may not have otherwise noticed. While humans are still better than machines at many tasks, computers don’t get tired or bored of looking for patterns and drawing conclusions from large amounts of information.
Different Types of Machine Learning
There are many different types of machine learning. These include supervised, unsupervised, and reinforcement algorithms.
Supervised machine learning is when computers learn from input data that has both expected outputs and the correct answer. For example, a computer might use supervised learning to tell if an email is spam or not based on its content
In this case, computers analyze unlabeled input data without instruction about what they should find within the information – often using clustering techniques such as KMeans algorithm
Reinforcement Machine Learning
Used by robots when deciding how best to navigate their environment based on trial and error feedback from sensors that measure variables like
Free Machine Learning Courses
There are a lot of free machine learning courses out there, but you have to know where to look.
We have listed down the best free machine learning courses from beginner to advanced level.
Free Machine Learning Courses for Beginners
- Machine Learning Crash Course by Google: If you’re looking for an introduction and don’t want to spend any money on courses yet, then head over to this course which has more than 20 videos that go through all the basics. It’s completely free and you can start anytime.
- Machine Learning – By Stanford: From this courses you will learn about Machine Learning (ML) Algorithms, Machine Learning basics, Logistic Regression and Artificial Neural Network.
- Intro To Machine Learning: In this free udacity course, you will learn to investigate data, extract and identify useful features that represent data, few machine learning algorithms and finally learn to evaluate perfomace of machine learning algorithms.
Free Advanced Machined Learning Course
If you want a more advanced course that goes beyond the basics, then check out Andrew Ng’s machine learning specialization on Coursera which has been recognized as one of the best online courses by many publications including The New York Times and Fast Company.
It includes five modules with video lectures, programming assignments, reading.
The course covers probability theory, machine learning algorithms, applications, and tools.
Best Machine Learning Books
Here are the best machine learning books to get started with.
- Introduction to Machine Learning with Python
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning with Python
- Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
- Deep Learning with Python
- Reinforcement Learning: An Introduction
- Deep Learning
- Machine Learning: A Probabilistic Perspective
Top Machine Learning Courses
There are many courses available online which cover Machine Learning concepts, such as: – Udacity’s Intro to Machine Learning course (taught in Python) offers a practical introduction to the main ideas behind ML methods and tools, how they’re used and what you can achieve with them. The class has been shared by over 100k+ people on LinkedIn alone!
Udemy is one of the best online learning platforms for machine learning. It has a lot of tutorials and courses that are updated regularly including:
Machine Learning A-Z™: Hands-On Artificial Intelligence – learn everything about artificial intelligence with 224 lectures, 17 hours of video length, by Dr. James W. Adams
The next best course is Machine Learning: Regression, Clustering, and Classification from the University of Pennsylvania for those who want to learn regression analysis (linear models), clustering algorithms, and classification methods used in data mining applications. It has 105 lectures with a whopping 12 hours video length while covering linear models, kmeans algorithm, KNN Algorithm, etc
DataCamp’s Introduction to Machine Learning course will give you an overview of machine learning algorithms, how they work, what their limitations are, and more
Machine learning Frameworks
Following are the top machine learning frameworks to get started with machine learning:
These frameworks may differ in their approach and complexities, but they are all good to get started with machine learning. The best way is to go through the introductory material for each framework and read up on tutorials/blogs before selecting one of them.
Some advanced frameworks may include:
- Big ML
Machine learning Model Building
An image is worth a thousand words.
Here is an image that explains the machine learning model-building process.
Machine Learning Real World Projects For Beginners
One way to get started with Machine learning is to do sample projects which are available online.
let’s look at some of the beginner’s level machine learning projects to get started with.
- Object Recognition
- Social Media Monitoring
- Sentiment Analysis of Tweets
Basically, this project is about extracting features from an input image and then making a classification of the type of object it represents. The algorithm used in this application is Support Vector Machines (SVM) which is one of the most popular machine learning algorithms for pattern recognition tasks such as Object Detection.
Sentiment Analysis of Tweets
This project deals with analyzing sentiment through tweets by applying human-readable rules that define what constitutes positive vs negative sentiments. To start off we need to select pre-trained word embeddings – WordNet lexical
Social Media Monitoring
This project is about extracting features from social media and then making a classification on the type of post-it represents.
Interesting Machine learning facts
Google searches for “Machine Learning” increased by 400% in 2016 and the number of job postings with these words grew by 200%.
The number of people reading this article about machine learning is rapidly increasing.
Few companies running machine learning in production:
Here are some interesting facts about machine learning.
- Machine learning will be an integral part of our daily lives. It’ll help us make decisions, do tasks and even find love
- Computers may become the first line in diagnosing diseases such as cancer
- Machine learning will not cut jobs but it could change the way we work. Jobs that involve using the information to make decisions are most at risk of being replaced by machine learning. These include things like accountants, lawyers and radiologists
- It’s possible for machines to outperform humans in certain tasks such as grading essays.
- The average salary of machine learning developer is $127,000
You might also like,